Here I write about various events I was involved in and ideas that inspired me. Recently, it is more of a linux blog because I have been doing a lot of work on it. However, off and on I write on various other things that my mind just can't let go easily.
Recently, I was trying to create PDF files of barcodes. I was using barby gem for generating barcodes. When I tried to write the generated PDF, I found that the PDF string was in ASCII-8BIT encoding while my console was in UTF-8 which was causing Ruby to attempt writing in UTF-8 encoding causing errors. So, to write to the file in ASCII-8BIT, I had to specify that while opening the file. I achieved that using the following and I could write to the file correctly.