Saturday 21 December 2013

Spellcheck in Emacs

Recently I am using Emacs for writing a few essays. While writing, I started missing spellcheck feature of Microsoft Word. The fact that feature is also provided my many browser based tools, like in GMail has made me used to it. So, I did a quick lookup to find the shortcut for triggering spellcheck in the current Emacs buffer. The answer was to simply use M-x ispell. Trying that I got the following error in the Messages buffer below the main buffer.

No word lists can be found for the language "en_US"

The shortcut mentioned above uses aspell which I knew is installed on my system. So, looking for aspell errors, I figured I needed to install the package aspell-en to get it fixed. On Arch linux, it can be done using the following.

pacman -S aspell-en

No comments: